Claim a Convict
home | search & browse | resources | contact us |login

Details for the convict Thomas Arnott (1803)

Convict Name:Thomas Arnott
Trial Place:Middlesex Quarter Session
Trial Date:14 July 1800
Sentence:7 years
Arrival Details
Arrival Year:1803
Claim Thomas Arnott as yours

Researchers who have claimed this convict

There is currently one researcher who has claimed Thomas Arnott

  • Researcher (4292)
Claimed convict


THOMAS ARNOTT 1781 – 2nd January1847
The son of William and Mary Arnott who lived in the parish of St Sepulchre-without-Newgate.
By the time Thomas was nineteen, he had completed his apprenticeship as a watchmaker, he was 5'6" tall and of dark complexion with brown hair and dark eyes.

On the 9th July 1800 he was tried at The Old Bailey for "feloniously stealing and carrying away" a gown, three handkerchiefs and one pair of shoes, all at a value of ten shillings from the bedroom of Sarah Welch, spinster, who said at the trial that she thought he was having fun.
His plea of not guilty was accepted by the jury and he was acquitted by Justice Sir Giles Rooke.
Thomas was brought before the Middlesex Sessions of Peace and Mr Justice Conant, a week later on 14th July 1800 for “petite larceny” for a similar offence and the Newgate Prison Register shows him as being "Transferred unto the Sheriff" on 28th September 1800 with a sentence of transportation for seven years.

Thomas was gaoled at Newgate Prison at age 20 and transferred to the rotting Hulk, HMS Portland at Langston Harbour. Thomas sailed below decks on the 52 Gun "HMS Calcutta" on 24th April 1803 from Spithead
On Sunday the 9th of October 1803 at 9.30 in the morning, the "Calcutta" entered Port Phillip Bay greeted by light breezes and occasional showers. She anchored at Sullivan Bay, near present day Sorrento in Victoria.
Port Phillip Bay, was deemed unsuitable for a settlement. Collins had obtained permission to relocate his group to join those of Bowen at Risdon Cove, Thomas was put aboard the "Ocean" in February 1804 and became a First Settler of Hobart Town.

After completing his sentence, he crewed on a number of trading and sealing ships in the colony.

Records show Thomas Arnott was Master of the schooner "The Hawk".
Thomas left the seas in 1817 to become a stock keeper to John (Charles) Williams,

He was involved in attempting to capture the bushranger Michael Howe and was a member of a boat crew in search of a launch from the "Prince Leopold In 1824 Thomas requested a town allotment In 1831, he was allocated 30 acres. He is recorded as purchasing 4 acres in Coal River Road at Kangaroo Point, near the site of what is now the Warrane Primary School,
In 1826 Sarah Meyers, from Houndsditch, London, arrived on Providence II as a convict . In February of the following year Thomas and Sarah Myers were married. And had 2 children. Sarah Myers died 3 years later. In November 1834 he married another convict, Sarah Ainsworth, Sarah Ainsworth died five years later and the two girls were admitted to Queen's Orphanage in Hobart in 1839.
Thomas was recorded living in Melbourne in 1839 Hannah and Priscilla were released from the orphanage, to their father's care just a few months before the birth to Anne Selby and Thomas of Eliza in February 1844.

Thomas Arnott aged 66, died of inflammation of the stomach and was buried at St Matthew's Church, Clarence Plains in an unmarked grave on the 5th January 1847.
Thomas features in the Marjorie Tipping book, "Convicts Unbound"
Submitted by Researcher (4292) on 10 June 2015

Disclaimer: The information has not been verified by Claim a Convict. As this information is contributed, it is the responsibility of those who use the data to verify its accuracy.

Research notes

There are currently no research notes attached to this convict.


  • The National Archives (TNA) : HO 11/1, p.338

Hawkesbury on the Net home page   |   Credits

Lesley Uebel & Hawkesbury on the Net © 1998 - 2020