Benevolent Society List of Donations 1886
Benevolent Society was established in 1818 with "the sole object of
which shall be the support and relief by voluntary contributions of all
real objects of charity within the districts of Windsor, Richmond,
Wilberforce, Portland Head and Pitt Town." The first committee were
elected in 1819 consisting of William Cox, Rev Robert Cartwright, James
Mileham, John Brabyn, Archibald Bell, John Jones, Henry Baldwin, Thomas
Pitt & George Hall. The Committee was to meet monthly & to provide
"some permanent relief in aid of the poor, aged & infirm" in
the district. The Society also hoped to assist families distressed from
floods. The Hawkesbury Benevolent Society later took over the running of
the Windsor Hospital in the 1840s and the society was disbanded only
recently (in the 1980s) when the Western Area Health took over. The
Society published Annual Reports from the early 1830s and listed
subscribers and persons making donations of money & goods in kind
which are a good source for family historians. These reports are in the
Mitchell Library (as well as other miscellaneous papers) and the Windsor
Library has an incomplete set of Annual Reports.
List of persons making a donation to the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society and listed in the "Annual Report of the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society & Windsor Hospital for the year 1886". The following people subscribed to the Society, raising much needed sums of money for needy people in the Hawkesbury district. As well as subscribers (or members) there were persons who made donations to the society either financial or by way of goods such as produce.
Abbreviations include J.P. Justice of the Peace & F.R.A.S. Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society. * = paid subscription the previous year but did not appear in the printed Annual Report.
|Credits:||Transcribed by Michelle Nichols - December 2006.|
Copyright © 2000-2010 Hawkesbury on the Net Directory - all rights reserved