Claim a Convict
home | search & browse | resources | contact us |login

Details for the convict George Hibberd (1843)

Convict Name:George Hibberd
Trial Place:York (Sheffield) Quarter Sessions
Trial Date:28 February 1842
Sentence:7 years
Arrival Details
Ship:Gilmore (3)
Arrival Year:1843
Claim George Hibberd as yours

Researchers who have claimed this convict

There is currently one researcher who has claimed George Hibberd

  • Researcher (Chris Nilsen)
Claimed convict


George Hibberd was born in the village of Coal Aston, Derbyshire, probably in 1808. He was baptised in Dronfield, Derbyshire on 10-4-1808.
The record states that he was the base son of Elizabeth Hibbert.

George Hibberd grew up in Sheffield, living with his mother and step-father.

From the age of 22 he starts to get in trouble with the law.

*Firstly on Sunday 17-10-1830. He and two others break into the home of Mrs Sarah Chapman near Pond Hill. They steal 12 shillings in silver & copper coins, a silk handkerchief and two leather pocket books. The two other offenders are sent to Australia for seven years. George escapes with a sentence of three months hard labour at the Wakefield House of Correction.

George Hibberd married Eliza Taylor on 22 June 1831 at the Sheffield Cathedral.

It is known they had four children before Eliza died in 1838. Her burial record states: "Eliza, wife of George, age 29, address West Bar, buried 8 August 1838".

1)Rebecca Hibberd. *Born c1832 in Sheffield.
2)William Hibberd. *Born 11-2-1833 in Sheffield.
3)George Hibberd. *Born 28-2-1835 in Sheffield.
4)Sarah Hibberd. *Born c1836 in Sheffield.

During this period George Hibberd commits other offences including stealing, getting involved in various fights and arguments, and rioting. He spends several months in prison.

*Finally on 29-1-1842 George and two others steal some pigeons in the village of Bolton on Dearne. Firstly a quantity from Francis Whitaker Tyas, and then later the same night some more from Mr Luke White. At 7am the next morning the three men were coming from Bolton towards Sheffield. They are apprehended in Brightside Lane. George was found to have 20 live and 3 dead pigeons in his pockets. He was also carrying a ‘life preserver’ (blackjack). The three are remanded in custody at the Wakefield House of Correction on 5-2-1842 and appear in court on the 28-2-1842 at the Sheffield Adj.d Sessions. The judge describes George as a “very dangerous character” who is unlikely to be reformed in England. He is sentenced to be deported to Van Diemens Land for 7 years.

George departs from Sheerness on the ‘Gilmore’ on the 14-4-1843 as one of 254 adult male convicts and travels to Van Diemen’s Land via Cape Verde Island.It is believed George learnt some literacy skills on his journey to Van Diemans Land. For the last 3 weeks of the journey George is unwell, beginning on the 2-8-1843. He suffers from rheumatism and scurvy. He complains of nausea, feeling weak, having pain in the limbs, faintness, loss of appetite, irregular bowels, belly pains and sore/bleeding gums. He arrives in Hobart on the 19-8-1843 and is discharged to the Hobart Town hospital on the 20th.

George is listed as a Protestant who can read and write. His occupation is listed as a table knife handle maker. He is 5’5” tall with dark brown hair and dark hazel eyes.

George receives his ticket of leave on the 22-6-1847. He continues to live and work in Tasmania receiving his Conditional Pardon’ on the 1-8-1850.
On the 1-4-1852 he boards the ‘Esperanza’ in Hobart and travels to Melbourne.

George Hibberd marries Bridget Mary Whelan on 17-1-1856 at St. Francis Roman Catholic in Melbourne.
Soon after getting married they move to the Bendigo area.
George and Bridget had five children:

George Hibberd worked as a miner, bricklayer and a wood carter/splitter in the Bendigo area. He lived at Tinpot Gully.

Towards the end of his life he lives alone in a hut in Stafford’s Gully (Diamond Hill), distanced from his family. He dies at the hut on 11-1-1884 (age 78) but is not found for several days. He died of ‘inflammation of the heart & lungs’. He was buried on the 15-1-1884 in the Bendigo cemetery. An inquest was held at the Victoria Hotel on 15-1-1884. His son, George, said that they hadn’t been on good terms of late and didn’t see much of each other.

Submitted by Researcher (Chris Nilsen) on 3 October 2018

Disclaimer: The information has not been verified by Claim a Convict. As this information is contributed, it is the responsibility of those who use the data to verify its accuracy.

Research notes

There are currently no research notes attached to this convict.


  • The National Archives (TNA) : HO 11/13, p.277

Hawkesbury on the Net home page   |   Credits

Lesley Uebel & Hawkesbury on the Net © 1998 - 2021