Claim a Convict
home | search & browse | resources | contact us |login

Details for the convict Patrick Cannane (1832)

Convict Name:Patrick Cannane
Trial Place:Galway
Trial Date:
Arrival Details
Ship:Eliza II (4)
Arrival Year:1832
Claim Patrick Cannane as yours

Researchers who have claimed this convict

There is currently one researcher who has claimed Patrick Cannane

  • Researcher (Warren Randolph)
Claimed convict


Life and times of Patrick Cannan(e)
Patrick was my three times great grandfather on my mother’s side. He was born at Kinvara, Galway Bay, Ireland in 1811.
He fathered a son when 20. The mother, Mary Dunn, was his cousin, proably unmarried.
At 21, Patrick was under arrest, charged with the offence of being a member of the Whiteboys. It was a secret Irish agrarian organisation that originated in 18th-century Ireland which used violent tactics to defend tenant farmer land rights for subsistence farming.
He was sentenced at Galway 26 March 1832 to transportation to Australia for a life term. Departed Cork on the Eliza 11 that sailed on 10 May 1832 and arrived Port Jackson 6 Sep 1832..
He was one of 26 fellow Whiteboys on that voyage. This group was referred to by Thomas Keneally in his book "The Great Shame".
He was sent to work for the Palmer family in NSW. They owned Pemberton Grange Stud at Parramatta, Peninsular Farm at Windsor and Barraba near Maitland. Patriarch of the Palmer family was John Palmer, Purser on Governor Phillip’s flagship Sirius that arrived with the first fleet in 1788.
Patrick served 8 years with the Palmer family so became eligible for a Ticket of Leave in 1840. Tickets of leave allowed convicts to travel to specific locations to work, usually for 12 months duration.
His first ticket of leave was issued at Maitland in 1840 that allowed him to work at Port Macquarie district. The records show he was in Moreton Bay by 1845 where he was issued with several Tickets of Leave. In 1848 he was on the Darling Downs working for Colin Campbell who held the lease of Glengallan Station.
Patrick was issued with a Conditional Pardon on 3 July 1852 having spent some 20 years in the penal system. The condition was that he was not allowed ever to enter the UK and Ireland.
His son, Patrick junior, migrated to Moreton Bay in 1851 as an assisted immigrant. Mary followed in 1855. Family finally reunited after 23 years.
Father and son worked as stockmen in ensuing years including on Canning Downs Station at Killarney and Couchin Couchin Station near Boonah Qld.
Patrick senior’s life came to a sudden end in 1859. He and his son were on horseback galloping at full speed when Patrick’s head came into contact with a tree branch.
Newspaper report on the inquest:
An enquiry was held into the circumstances attending the death of Patrick Cannan, well known by the name of ' Paddy Crack.' Cannan was returning from Coochin Coochin with his son and (near Normandy Plains Gully) when riding at top speed, he struck a box sapling and fell. His son, who saw him fall, went up and bathed his temples with water, but he never spoke afterwards. The son remained with his father until twelve at night, when he went to look for his horse, which had got away, and did not return to where his father was lying until near two o’clock next afternoon. The accident occurred at 6 o'clock on Tuesday afternoon, and about the same hour on Wednesday evening a cart arrived to take deceased to Ipswich; he was then alive, but died about twelve o'clock, before the cart reached Ipswich. Dr Rowlands had been sent for to attend deceased, and saw him about four o'clock on Wednesday. and found that he had received an injury of the temple and one collar-bone fractured. Dr Lucas certified that deceased had died from concussion of the brain. The evidence went to prove that deceased was not sober at the time. The police magistrate commented in very severe terms on the conduct of the son of deceased, who, instead of remaining with his insensible father, rode off to Coochin Coochin and did not return for upwards of twelve hours, leaving him wholly unattended. His worship remarked on the gross neglect of duty in deferring, for eighteen hours, application for professional assistance.
Verdict: "Deceased came by his death from concussion of the brain, caused by contact with a tree, while recklessly riding at full speed in a state of partial intoxication.
Submitted by Researcher (Warren Randolph) on 2 December 2016

Disclaimer: The information has not been verified by Claim a Convict. As this information is contributed, it is the responsibility of those who use the data to verify its accuracy.

Research notes

There are currently no research notes attached to this convict.

Hawkesbury on the Net home page   |   Credits

Lesley Uebel & Hawkesbury on the Net © 1998 - 2021